- Basic Information
- Equipment and Facility
- Basic Rental Rates
- Discounts Available
- Mentoring Available
- Liability and Assignment
Studio rental is available by appointment. Subject to other bookings, the studio is available for rent seven days a week, from morning through to evening (premium rates may apply to non-operational times).
Minimum booking is for two hours — you should allow adequate time within your booking to tidy up after your shoot.
All bookings must be prepaid in full. In the event of cancellation some (or all) of your payment may be credited towards a future booking.
Studio staff will be in the premises throughout your session. For a basic rental we are happy to assist with studio equipment (particularly the remote control systems) and studio/equipment related questions. Mentored studio sessions are also available for an additional fee.
What We Have
For pictures of each of our shooting areas, props, backdrops and more about our camera room, [click here for the private gallery][page-6c74]. This includes several images taken in each area shown. The first two images are panoramas, which shown both sides of the shooting area and the sets, props on the immediate floor.
White Cyclorama - 12x12' with a cycled white wall. The floor is semi-gloss and the wall is matte. This shooting area also has six geared pull down color paper rolls, three machine-geared permanent canvas backdrops (mottled gray, scenic garden, white vinyl). Two lights above and behind provide high key availability. One light (adjustable remotely) provides separation/hair light in a baffled softbox.
Dark Side - 15x15' shooting area. Grey carpeted floor, mottled grey and blue permanent background wall (gels well with an assortment of colored gels and multi-gel cards available). This area also has several basic muslin backdrops (at least 10' wide, most 20' long) mounted on slider rails, along with 2-3 scenic muslins (winter scene, roman columns, garden) and several single- and double-mounted colored sheers (white, blue, black and red). One light (adjustable remotely) provides separation/hair light in an unbaffled softbox.
Shoot-Thru Window Wall - This 10x8' shooting area has a transluscent "window" that is illuminated from the other side to provide a soft glowing light that can be gelled, adjusted and filtered as needed. A white, plush carpet is on the floor (can be rolled up to move out of the way), and drapes accompany the perpendicular wall as an accent. The window wall has hardware in place for draperies, curtains, and blinds, also available at the studio. This area also has a unique "shoot down" feature that has a platform seven feet above the floor with an area for the photographer (under 250 pounds please) to shoot down into the area for total overhead photography. A boom-controlled overhead 1x1' softbox is provided for separation/hair light.
Woodgrain floor/whitewall area - We refer to this as the "universal corner," as it can be dressed up any way necessary, including other floor & wall coverings, muslins, drapes, sheers, and gossamer (all available at the studio). A boom-adjustable overhead flash can be used as a separation light or accent.
Other smaller sets - A library, stucco wall, locker wall, industrial set, and black carpet wall. These sets are roughly 5x5' (and at least 8' tall), but are great for closeup work.
Most flashes are Paul C. Buff White Lightning or Alien Bees. We also have Photogenic, Lumedyne, and several smaller units. Soft boxes, grids and barndoors are available for the main units, and we have some special purpose accessories for the photogenic lights, as well as speed rings for all of the larger lights.
Ten lights and/or hookups are suspended from a rail system in the ceiling. While all can be moved, the two high-key flashes are wedged behind the separation lights on the cyclorama side of the studio. There are also several light, medium and heavy duty light stands (three on wheels), as well as outlets throughout the studio, on tops of the short walls, and a large power-strip in the "gutter" between the two main sides of the studio.
Props & Backdrops
There are far too many props and backdrops to list here, but we would be happy to review them all during a consultation. There are children's props including chairs of all sizes, toys specific to photography, and clothing wear for young and newborns. We also have posing stools in black, wood, white, and several larger metal frame stools. We also have four short ladders (black, white, red, blue), and open back chairs (red, white, black, brown), as well as three Queen Anne's benches (red, green, brown wicker). We have a complete collection of silk florals, drapings, vases, including several floral strands.
We have roughly 30 muslin backdrops in a variety of colors and scenes. There are also several 5x7' and 6x9' roll-up/drop-down canvas scenic/old master-style backdrops and a pulley load system for hanging them easily. There are 8-12 fine sheers, 4-5 gossamer cloth accents, 200+ fabrics in a variety of colors and sizes, as well as many more patterned fabrics that can be used for many purposes. Petal mats, false flooring, tule, mesh, and much more round out our selection of accessories.
A heavy-duty camera stand is available for all your camera needs. It's 7' tall and has a built-on convenience tray. There are a variety of counterweights, as well as a pattern projector and a variety of color gels in sheet, mounted, and round formats.
The basic rate is $100 for the first two hours, and $35 for each additional hour — minimum rental period is two hours.
Discounted rates are available:
- $160 for four hours.
- $225 for six hours.
- $295 for eight hours.
All bookings must be prepaid. Subject to availability, bookings may be extended at the standard hourly rate. The discounted rates are only available when originally booked.
These rates apply to bookings covering core hours of business: 10am — 6pm Tuesday to Saturday. For start times before 10am or after 6pm, add $15 per hour. For Sunday & Monday, add $25 per hour (mentoring availability may be limited on Sunday & Monday).
All booked sessions should include adequate time to tidy up and vacate the premises.
Refunds of any amount are discretionary. A minimum of 25% of the booking will normally be deducted from all cancelled bookings — the outstanding balance will be credited towards a future session.
Offers and incentives
10% off your next booking when purchasing an 8-hour rental.
20% off any booking of two-hours or more if you are a qualified student (must present ID and at least one other student identification - such as transcript, letter, or grade notification with the school's identification on it).
The studio is not for rental to anyone under the age of 16. Renters below the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
20% off four pre-paid 8-hour sessions. These may be split to 1/2 day sessions (for even greater savings). All sessions must be used within four months of purchase.
10% off two pre-paid 8-hour sessions. These may be split to 1/2 day sessions (for even greater savings). All sessions must be used within two months of purchase.
10% off when pre-paying for 8 hours (or more) at the standard rate. Minimum hire period of 2 hours applies.
These offers may not be combined.
Training and mentoring
Studio rental does not include any education beyond a brief introduction and overview of the studio and equipment. This will include the use of lights, remote control facilities, tour, backgrounds and props.
One-to-one studio tuition is available for $175 for the first two hours (including studio use, but not including any model fees), and $90 for each additional hour.
Training and mentoring includes anything specific to your particular use of the facility, but does not include use of the studio's computers or technology, cameras and lenses, or equipment that is used exclusively by TLC Photography.
You must book training and mentoring at the same time you rent the studio, as Tony may not be at the studio during your particular usage.
A PRINTED COPY OF THIS INFORMATION WILL REQUIRE YOUR SIGNATURE PRIOR TO ANY STUDIO USE.
- Use of our studio and our equipment is AT RENTER’S OWN RISK. The Renter hereby waives rights to seek legal action for mishaps, accidents, and/or loss related to their actions whilst on our premises.
- Renter agrees to leave the studio and adjacent grounds in the same condition as they were when Renter arrived.
- Renters are solely responsible for any legal infractions Renter or members of Renter’s party make during the conduct of the shoot, be they in our studio or adjacent grounds.
- Renter agrees to hold harmless TLC Photography, its owner, agents, representatives, and contractors acting on its behalf for any loss, accident, or injury to Renter’s self or anyone who accompanies Renter while on our premises.
- Renter agrees to be solely responsible for the conduct and welfare of all persons accompanying Renter while on our premises.
- Renters are solely responsible for the safety and well-being of any models Renter engages.
- Renter understands that if the dangerous or negligent practices or activities are observed, we reserve the right to stop the shoot and require Renter and accompanying parties to leave immediately — HOWEVER, TLC Photography assumes NO RESPONSIBILITY to act in such cases.
- Renter agrees to hold TLC Photography, its agents, representatives, and anyone acting on their behalf completely harmless from any action, legal or otherwise, that results from Renter’s conduct.
- Renters are solely responsible for verifying that all models employed during the rental period are of appropriate legal age for the activities they are to be engaged in during the shoot. TLC Photography has no responsibility to determine or verify the age of participants in the Renter’s activities but reserves the right to end those activities if it becomes aware that legal age violations are ongoing.
- Renter agrees that a representative of TLC Photography will be present in the studio premises during all rentals.
- Studio use includes the use of the entire upstairs studio, including the dressing rooms, restroom, props, lighting, backgrounds and camera supports (i.e., tripod, camera stand). Use of background papers is available for $25 per full length pull.
- TLC Photography agrees to provide equipment in good working order, but makes no special guarantees as to said equipment’s functionality or suitability to Renter’s purposes.
- TLC Photography is not liable for acts out of its control that affect the shoot, such as power outages, weather or emergencies. In such cases, TLC Photography may refund or credit a prorated portion of Renter’s payment.
- Damages to equipment and premises are the Renter’s responsibility and must be settled after hire period at market value.
- Studio rental does not include the use of cameras, lenses, or equipment otherwise deemed as individual to TLC Photography.
Health and Safety Requirements
- TLC Photography will not be held responsible for any accident or injury caused by the Renter or any member of their party whilst using the studio facilities.
- No loaded weapons, ammuntion, explosives, or flammable materials are permitted anywhere in the studio.